Entertainment Daypop Archives

Prosecutors Say That Bill Cosby Paid Accuser $3.38 Million In 2006 Settlement

Bill Cosby paid $3.38 million to the woman who said that he drugged and assaulted her as part of a 2006 civil settlement, prosecutors said in opening statements of his trial on Monday. The number was made public for the first time on Monday as Cosby returned to court for his trial on three counts of aggravated indecent assault. Cosby, 80, has pleaded not guilty to the charges. Andrea Constand, a former Temple University employee, says that Cosby drugged her and then assaulted her at his home in 2004. Cosby’s defense attorneys have argued that he and Constand had a consensual sexual relationship. No criminal charges were filed at the time Constand reported the alleged assault to police in 2005, but she and Cosby settled a civil lawsuit in 2006. This is the second trial for Cosby on these charges. Last June’s trial ended in a mistrial when jurors could not come to a unanimous verdict on any of the charges against Cosby.

‘A Quiet Place’ Tops The Weekend Box Office With $50.2M

John Krasinski’s “A Quiet Place” blasted past expectations to notch the second-best debut of the year, opening with $50.2 million in ticket sales, according to final studio figures Monday. The Paramount Pictures thriller, the third film directed by the former “The Office” star, had been pegged to open closer to $30 million. The unexpected success of the $17 million movie gave Viacom Inc.’s Paramount a much-needed hit and the studio’s best non-sequel opening weekend in nearly five years. The Universal Pictures R-rated comedy “Blockers,” with Leslie Mann and John Cena, also performed solidly, collecting $20.6 million in its debut. Last week’s top film, Steven Spielberg’s “Ready Player One,” slid to second but held well.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Returns Home After Successful Heart Surgery

Arnold Schwarzenegger has reportedly left Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after successful cardiac surgery. The procedure was put in place by medical interventionists responding to a resurgence of Arnold’s congenital heart defect, which he first received treatment for in 1997. Schwarzenegger had been tweeting from his hospital bed since Thursday, giving his supporters an update on his condition. He also showed gratitude over his bedside care in his latest tweet, saying in part, “I went to sleep expecting to wake up with a small incision and woke up with a big one – but guess what? I woke up, and that’s something to be thankful for. Thank you to the doctors & nurses. And I’m truly filled with gratitude for all of the kind messages.” Schwarzenegger’s spokesman, Daniel Ketchell, confirmed the news of his return, citing he was alive and well. Funny enough, Arnold’s first words upon waking from surgery was a fitting “I’m Back.” 

‘Jersey Shore Family Vacation’ Breaks Record For Most Watched Unscripted Cable Premiere In 6 Years

The premiere of MTV’s Jersey Shore Family Vacation proved to be a huge success for the cable network. The new series became the most watched unscripted cable series premiere in six years. The show’s first two episodes, which were part of a back-to-back two-hour special, averaged a score of 2.96 in the 18-34 demographic—higher than the 2012 season finale. Jersey Shore Family Vacation was also a big hit on social media, with the hashtag #JSFamilyVacation trending for seven hours in the United States on Twitter. The series’ success on social media may have also had to do with it being a global premiere, which was a first for MTV. Jersey Shore Family Vacation followed original housemates Deena Nicole Cortese, Paul “Pauly D” Delvecchio, Jenni “JWOWW” Farley, Vinny Guadagnino, Ronnie Ortiz-Magro, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi and Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino for a reunion in Miami; only missing from the reboot of the series is Sammie “Sweetheart” Giancola.

Actress Jaime King Speaks Out On Violent Attack Against Her & Her Son

Jaime King has posted on her Instagram about the terrifying act of violence that occurred against her, her four-year-old son James Knight, and her friend Judit Balogh on April 4 in Beverly Hills. The actress wrote a note to her fans, thanking them for support and noting that many of the facts that have been released are not accurate. “James Knight is very shaken up, as am I. The attack was incredibly violent, and my 4 year old son was obviously the target of the individual’s brutal attack, which is terrifying,” King wrote. Beverly Hills Police have stated that King’s car was parked and her son James was sitting in a car seat in the back, while King’s friend was in the driver’s seat. Suspect Paul Francis Floyd, 47, jumped on the car and pummeled the window. King’s friend got out of the car to try to stop Floyd, who threw a can at her.  “In an effort to protect the child, the female driver exited the vehicle and confronted the suspect at which time he threw a can at her, striking her arm.” Police said Floyd had also kicked another car before attacking King’s Mercedes. Floyd was arrested on one count each of felony child endangerment and misdemeanor battery and two counts of felony vandalism. He was being held on $100,000 bail.  Police said they are still investigating the incident.